Thin-Film Photovoltaics: Task Group 8
Task Group 8 focuses on durability issues specific to thin-film photovoltaic (PV) modules. This can include CdTe, CIGS, a-Si, perovskites or any other non-crystalline Si based technology.
This group is currently meeting approximately monthly to discuss durability issues specific to perovskite PV materials. The goal of these discussions is to discuss trends in degradation observed in field testing and indoor accelerated tests. The group aims to determine the unique testing requirements for perovskite PV modules compared to other thin film technologies. If you are interested in leading a discussion session, contact Laura Schelhas (NREL).
Task Group 8's past work on International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) standards has included input to the following projects:
- Stabilization procedures for current-voltage measurements in the IEC 61215 series.
- Damp heat test procedures specific to cadmium telluride and CIGS (copper indium gallium selenide) modules in IEC 61215-1-3 and IEC 61215-1-4.
- Potential induced degradation test procedures for thin-film modules in IEC TS 62804-2.
- Partial shading test procedures in IEC TS 63140.
- Test procedures for durability of mobile/flexible/small products in IEC 63163.
If there are other projects or topics that you would like to see addressed by this group, please contact us so we can set up a meeting. If there is a need to begin international interlaboratory collaborative research projects on thin film PV related projects, we would be happy to help.
Michael Kempe, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
Other leaders are welcome.